Windows OS Update Settings
Why should you care about them?
Windows updates are set to a non-optimal setting.
Updates can start downloading at an unpredictable time and cause hard to trace performance issues.
By the way, this check is a part of our SQL Server Health Check.
How can I check it?
- Go to Start, and search for “Windows Update settings”:
- Go to “Choose how updates get installed”:
- Check if “Never check updates (not recommended)” is selected.
How to fix them?
- Change it to “Never check for updates (not recommended)”.
- Then periodically, during the maintenance window, run Win Updates and reboot. The best environments do this on a scheduled basis every month.